As of 01/16/2015 there is still funding available!
What do I have to do to take part in the $10,000.00 Energy Rebate Program?
You can read through the steps or CLICK HERE to watch this video
STEP 1 - Sign up.
1. Request a home energy rating or sign up. You can either call (907) 884-0113 or CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP ONLINE.
STEP 2 - Schedule.
2. Schedule the first rating or "As Is" Inspection. A rater will call to schedule
and perform the first energy rating. To understand how to prepare your home for the rating CLICK HERE.
Fees. You will be required to pay at the time of service.
3. The standard fee charged by Energy Smart Alaska is $475.00. If you are taking advantage of the $10,000.00 Energy Rebate, AHFC will reimburse you $325.00 of your expenses. Additional charges may apply for homes that require testing for more than 1 Blower Door or homes that are larger than 3500 sq ft. If your home or the building being tested is outside of Anchorage there may be additional travel fees as well as lodging and cost of living fees if overnight stay is required. Thermal Imaging is an additional fee
Receiving your Rating and Application
You should receive your Official Energy Packet from Energy Smart Alaska within 5-7 business days after the inspection. We will normally email this to you so that you can have an electronic file of it.
STEP 3 - Process your Energy Rating and Application.
***IMPORTANT DEADLINE INFORMATION...You have 90 days from the time your name has hit zero on the waiting list to process your paperwork with AHFC. If you fail to process your paperwork on time you will have to start over on the wait list again and pay for another Rating. At that time any money that you have spent on Energy Upgrades will be Forfeited and you will not be reimbursed for them.
You have 18 months from the day your 1st Rating was performed until your Rebate expires. This means all of your work must be complete and your Final Inspection (Post) report must be turned into AHFC prior to the 18 month deadline date or you may forfeit your rebate.
Upon submitting your paperwork and application you will need to turn the following:
It is our recommendation that you hand deliver the package directly to Alaska Housing Finance Corporation
4300 Boniface Parkway #130, Anchorage, AK (907) 338-6100
- Copy of the entire rating packet that you have received as well as Required Documents Checklist.
- As-Is Rating Reimbursement Form (HER-1 Invoice).
- Copy of Home Energy Rating Certificate for first rating (As-Is).
- Copy of Energy Efficiency Improvement Options report (As-Is).
- Copy of proof of ownership (tax parcel notice, transfer deed or deed of trust that matches property address).
- Energy rater’s receipt or check copy for the first energy rating (As-Is).
All documents need to be completed and sent to AHFC for you to be entered into the Rebate Program.
• Once all your paperwork is received, AHFC will reimburse you for the rating in approximately 60 days.
• AHFC will set aside up to $10,000 for your home’s energy rebate.
• You will have 18 months from the date of the first rating to complete the rebate process.
• The actual rebate amount will depend on efficiency improvements and receipts as required by AHFC
STEP 4: Get your estimates and choosing a Contractor
Not all contractors are created equal so be sure to do your homework on them before you invite them into your home. Verify that they are Licensed in their field, Bonded and Insured just in case there is an issue.
REMEMBER, THE CHEAPEST CONTRACTOR IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST CHOICE!
We recommend that you receive at least 3 estimates for each job you are trying to complete. If the bids are very far apart then question them why. One contractor might be bidding something totally different then the rest of them. It is helpful to know that they are bidding "Apples to Apples". Don't feel bashful about asking for references and proof of insurance.
If you are having a difficult time finding contractors CLICK HERE for a list of contractors that we have selected.
***NOTE It is not necessary for you to use our selected contractors. This is merely a courtesy suggestion list that we have put together based on previous dealings or are our customers suggestions.
STEP 5: Contact your Rater before you sign any agreements with contractors.
It is very important to know that the points that the Improvement Options Report states that you will receive are not always what they say. The points are based on you fixing everything on the list without skipping a beat. As soon as you do skip one of the recommendations, all of the points change and you may not be receiving what you thought you would which in turn could change the amount of the rebate that you thought you would receive.
So there are no surprises we recommend that you email us a list of the improvements that you have decided you would like to do. We will then run them through AKWARM (Energy Rating Software) to make sure you are going to get what you thought you were.
The only variable we can not forecast is the Air Leakage that you were able to tighten up. The only way we can know that is when we come back for our final inspection (Post Audit)we will re-run a blower door to determine the Air Leakage Factor.
YOU can be the contractor!
If you choose to complete all or even just some of your improvements yourself, you can still be reimbursed. You can be reimbursed for materials that you purchase if you earn the points for them (watch video) however you will not be reimbursed for your labor.
Save ALL Receipts
It is recommended for you to start a binder with tabs separating out each project that you intend to tackle. For Example: Furnace, Crawlspace, Attic, Garage Door...
Take before, after and during pictures to verify that the work had been done and what material was used for projects such as "In Wall" Insulation or Cantilevers and also for below ground insulation.
Windows and Doors
***IMPORTANT INFORMATION. DO NOT ALLOW THE CONTRACTOR OR ANYONE ELSE TO REMOVE THE STICKERS OFF OF THE GLASS UNTIL THE RATER HAS INSPECTED THEM. DO NOT INSTALL DOGGIE DOORS IN NEW DOORS. YOU WILL NOT GET THE FULL CREDIT
STEP 5 - Sign up for Final Inspection
Click Here Sign up for the Re-inspection (Post Audit)
STEP 6 - Turn in Final Packet
Upon completion of the final inspection you will be required to turn in your Post Audit and all of your receipts for the work you had done. Be sure to only send copies and not the originals of your paperwork. After submitting your package it is not uncommon to wait 4-6 weeks in order to receive your final check from the state.